Thursday, September 16, 2004

Israel and America, Pippa and me.

Today on the towpath, Pippa the permed poodle told me that Israel controls the world.

'Well' I said demonstrating my new found knowledge of the world order,'That can't be right because George Bush controls the world. Everyone knows that'.

But Pippa was adamant.

She said America has given Israel $46 Billion dollars in grant military aid since President Truman recognised the state of Israel in 1948.

'That's an awful lot of weapons' I thought. Why on earth did America give Israel 46 Billion dollars worth of guns?' Why would anybody need that many guns, and why would anybody give anyone else that many guns.

Pippa explained to me that 98% of Americans are not aware that they finance the state of Israel which would not survive without US aid. And that 72% of Americans are not in favor of US financed killings of Palestinian children, although the statistics are not clear on feeling toward the killing of Palestinian adults, and perhaps that’s where the confusion arises.

We conducted our own straw poll on the Riverbank, and the consensus was that the US support for Israel is directly responsible for all kinds of future accountability, not least for the endless list of human rights abuses their weapon aid enables for the Israeli’s.

The only voice of dissent was from Max, the pedigreed Rottweiler, who says the Israeli’s are right, and Bush knows what he is doing. Max says they remind him of happier days in his breeds past.

46 Billion dollars in military aid does sound like a lot of money. It’s a lot more than the US gave to Iraq in the 80’s, although who would bet against things ending the same way.

It is really sunny today on the towpath, and although I remain drenched in flea powder, I still feel little causes for scratchiness. Perhaps it’s my imagination though.

Time for my morning snooze now........

No comments: